EDUCATION HAS BEEN DESCRIBED AS A PROCESS OF WAKING UP TO LIFE:
– Waking up to life and its mysteries, its solvable problems and the ways to solve the problems and celebrate the mysteries of life.
– Waking up to the inter-dependencies of all things, to the threat to our global village, to the power within the human race to create alternatives, to the obstacles entrenched in economic, social and political structures that prevent our waking up.
– Education in the broadest sense of the term is meant to aid the human being in his/her pursuit of wholeness. Wholeness implies the harmonious development of all the potentialities God has given to a human person.
– In short, the full flowering of the human on this earth it to be the goal of education. According to a UNESCO study, “the physical, intellectual, emotional and ethical integration of the individual into a complete man/woman is the fundamental aim of education.”
EDUCATION AND KNOWLEDGE
– Knowledge is a special commodity which enlightens the receiver (Student), broadens the giver (Teacher) and remains a social good which people can share and jointly benefit.
– Education is one of the fundamental rights and an instrument of freedom. Education develops a spirit of enquiry. Students are containers into which knowledge is deposited. Teacher is the depositor of knowledge.
– Education explores creativity and critical adaptation. It is an awareness of the past, development of the present and preparedness for the future. It promotes sustained investment in human skills and talents.
– It prepares the youth for global challenges and helps to select a satisfying job. It must enable one to see other’s point of view despite having different information, different perception and different value system.
9 CHARACTERISTICS OF HIGH PERFORMING SCHOOLS
– Clear and Shared Focus
– High Standards and Expectations
– Effective School Leadership
– Supportive Learning Environment
– High Level of Parent Involvement
– High Levels of Collaboration & Communication
– Frequent Monitoring of Teaching & Learning
– Curriculum, Instruction, & Assessment Aligned With Standards
– Focused Human/Professional Development